Saturday, August 6, 2011

A Bit of Nostalgia...Part One

Happy weekend dear readers!


A few days ago, I had the honor and privilege of learning an amazing craft from a dear friend.
She is an artist extraordinaire and Renaissance woman, and during this magical afternoon I learned the art of bookmaking. A time-consuming, yet immensely satisfying process, I ended up with a gorgeous little masterpiece to treasure. This exquisite experience led me to ponder the role of true craftsmanship, quality, and authentic living in our contemporary society.  As much as we appreciate and rely on our wonderful modern conveniences and technological gadgets, sometimes we all need to slow down. Perhaps wash the dishes by hand every once in a while, enjoying the frothy bubbles. How about a little promenade after dinner? Not a powerwalk, mind you, but a sweet, leisurely stroll. What about purchasing fewer, but well-made items, whatever they may be. 
                           Or perhaps we could even take the time to learn to craft a book...


Which brings me to the marvelous little book pictured below. Informative, witty, entertaining, and most definitely subjective, Leslie M.M. Blume takes us on a fun and fascinating journey of everything she believes should be brought back into fashion. I thought it would be fun to share some of my favorites...


                                           Please share what YOU would like to add to the list!



                                                                                   



So let's bring back...


The Kindness of Strangers



Aging Naturally



Dancing



Peace



Elegance



Boudoirs




Glamour Slippers




Powder Puffs



Parasols


Quality Over Quantity



Punch Bowls



Rice Pudding



Handwritten Letters



Fountain Pens



Evening Strolls




Please stay tuned for Part Two...













images: Pinterest, NJ Tango, coutureallure, tumblr, theconstanttraveler




6 comments:

  1. Hello:
    Gosh, did ever rice pudding look so elegant as the ones you show here?
    We compltely agree with your list of things due for bringing back and we are sure that the book would contain many more wonderful ideas with which we could wholeheatedly concur. Increasingly, one seems so out of step with the modern hustle and bustle and we do approve of more leisurely days when simple pleasures were enjoyed more gracefully.

    We are delighted to have been introduced to your blog by the wonderful Yonks and have much enjoyed reading your previous posts. In particular, your post on dachas had great appeal having Russian friends and living in Budapest for most of our time, the whole concept of a country cottage is very much part of the summer scene.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see you have covered my selection "handwritten letters". However, I do find blogging satisfies that desire. OK it may be instantaneous at the click of a button, but at least, whilst you are composing your comment or answer to a comment, you hold the recipient firmly in mind whilst doing so.

    A nice thought provoker today mystery girl :-)
    Di
    X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhhh.....after I sat down to finally come here, I am slowed down, relaxed and ready to see your magic. Well my dear, this is a treasure. I so believe in EVERY SINGLE THING listed here. Puffy little slipper? CHECK. Long strolls? Absolutely. Handmade items..DOUBLE CHECK. And surely quality over quantity. I would also add, POP IN TO A FRIEND'S HOUSE with a surprise treat and stop to have a cup of tea....also, HOMECOOKED MEALS EVERYDAY. A PHONE CALL...no texting...A PHONE CALL. There are so many..and you have brought this to my attention.

    I so miss you already my friend. What a pleasure it is to know you...and thank you.

    Sparkles and love to you, Anita

    OH....I need to ask you something....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Irina,
    Thank you for your visit to Heavenly Minded & Earthly Good, and for your encouraging words. I redrafted the post in order to account for some questions I am likely to be asked on so politically divisive an issue.

    I enjoyed your post. Of the things mentioned to "bring back," I was struck by "Peace," accompanied by the memorial to John Lennon in New York's Central Park. Why? Because Anita and I just tonight watched the 2006 documentary "The U.S. vs. John Lennon." We were impressed at how hard he tried to inspire peace and justice in the world, and how the FBI and the Nixon administration did everything shy of killing Lennon to get him to shut up.

    Ironically, while Nixon went down in disgrace and is largely remembered for his part in the war in Vietnam (which is now admitted to have been a mistake), corruption and vindictiveness, John Lennon is loved by millions around the world as a great musician and champion of peace.

    Your friend
    Ruben

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can tell already that I'm going to love to visit.
    Nice to meet you via Dianne!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this idea and I love the list of forgotten-yet-delightful things ...Your wonderful post reminds me of one book written by a young Canadian "The Book of Awesome: Snow Days, Bakery Air, Finding Money in Your Pocket, and Other Simple, Brilliant Things ".You may enjoy it . I will definitely enrich my collection with Leslie M.M. Blume's book . Thank you and enjoy your days !

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...